Travel

Monday, June 25, 2012

23rd Birthday Musings


What is it with new years, sunsets and birthdays that make you so reflective…



Well, I’m officially 23. And as anti-climactic as that statement is (can you have a climax if there’s no build-up?), I can’t keep the smile off my face, which makes me wonder: am I deranged?

Isn’t it supposed to be scary moving up the twenties decade? Aren’t there so many big life-changing decisions that need to be made? Isn’t there a big possibility of messing everything up, for myself, my kids, my family? Shouldn’t I be fast asleep at 1:30am considering I have to wake up in four hours and go to work?

The simple answer is: yes.

Then again, I suppose that’s also going to be true for every coming year of my life. So I figured I might as well focus on the good stuff.

I learnt recently that one of the simplest ways to be happy is to show gratitude: for the big stuff and the small things. So that’s exactly what I’m going to do (in order of how they come across my head).

I’m thankful:

  • For getting a chance to re-connect with family and friends who had faded away in the last few years of my life
  • For being part of a mission that I genuinely believe in
  • For being surrounded by a group of talented individuals who have that same passion
  • For having the chance to make a difference in the lives of so many kids
  • For living in India, the only place that really feels like home
  • For learning how to cross roads in Mumbai, and appreciating the importance of hands in this process
  • For being able to wander the roads of Mumbai on my own
  • For partly overcoming my fear of Dadar station
  • For having survived one year on my own in India – a feat I was told several times I would not be able to do
  • For being fine health-wise. I no longer have to think before sitting
  • For getting the green signal from my parents to visit Pakistan
  • For bhai getting engaged to the most awesome person ever
  • For visiting New Zealand – one of the genuinely most peaceful places I’ve seen
  • For getting to meet my parents so often
  • For getting to meet the entire khandaan at Gaurav bhaiya’s wedding
  • For spending the first ever mommy-daughter alone time in Bombay, and having a ball throughout
  • For Marine Drive and Worli Sea-face
  • For the wind
  • For feeling close to my Toronto friends despite speaking sparingly
  • For the Long Island Iced Teas
  • For meeting the mind-blowing team of 3.2.1
  • For starting to understand the essence of education
  • For my fellow Harry Potter geeks (Heeks)
  • For my umbrella
  • For Bahadur – the guy who cleans up our house
  • For having low tolerance of alcohol – keeps the pockets a little fuller
  • For the hugs
  • For my currently lice-free hair
  • For the Nescafe 3in1 coffee
  • For Maggie
  • For my friend’s baking skills
  • For my co-teacher’s ability to draw straight lines
  • For the look of recognition I get every time I see my grocery guy, ironing guy and the Xerox guys
  • For seeing the flags of Kuwait, Canada and India at TFI’s presentation today
  • For the feeling of belongingness I surprisingly felt for all three flags
  • For my nickname, Toronto
  • For the (rarely) empty train rides
  • For having my blog tweeted around by strangers
  • For my cousin’s blog having the ability to instantly cheer-me-up
  • For having friends with cars
  • For the awesome cabbies in Mumbai
  • For the sporadic star sighting (the Bollywood ones)
  • For the once-in-my-life star gazing (the sky ones)
  • For the trip to Panchgani with an entirely different set of friends
  • For all the possibilities awaiting me this year
  • For spending midnight at home with a cake, close friend and roomies
  • For all the wishes and hugs I’m going to get today


5 comments:

  1. Yesssss!!!! I featured in the list!!! *does a self high-five*

    I'm still waiting for your school to get over to wish you. I didnt call u at 12 thinking ul be asleep!!! Little did I know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And one suggestion...remove the word verification for comments...switch on moderation if you must...but its rather annoying to not realise that the comment wasnt printed the first time I clicked on 'Publish'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wokies - done! And of course you featured in the list - well, at least, your blog did :P

      Delete
  3. You really know how to be happy. The fact that you can come up with so many points show that you have gratitute and gratitute leads to happiness.

    Wish you many more wonderful years in your lives. :)

    ReplyDelete