Travel

Monday, July 2, 2012

Musings of a 19-year-old Mind: A Classy Conversation


A piece of fiction I wrote during the 2nd year of college

**** 

Scene: A hot summer evening in Toronto. A girl (G) comfily sitting with her mother (M). A simple statement…and that’s all it takes.

G: So mom, I was thinking of taking up a job at the gas station around the corner.
M: What?
G: I said, I was thinking of taking a…
M: I heard you. I meant…what?!?! Are you joking?
G: No, I’m quite serious.
M: …
G: Mum? Okay, look. It’s the summer holidays, none of my friends are here in Toronto, I have nothing better to do, might as well earn some money.
M: Oh my God, you really are serious.
G: …
M: Fine. If you really want to work, why not apply to some company? The pay would be much better…
G: Just the pay huh? Nah…I don’t want such serious work; something part-time and laid-back.
M: Okay…so how about a restaurant? There are some really nice ones you could try.
G: I know, but I’ve already done that. I want something different.
 M: Then why not help your father out with his business?
G: Business is really not my thing. Besides, I really want to do something on my own.
M: But it’s a gas station!!!
G: So…?
M: So don’t act like you don’t know what I’m talking about!
G: Oh please don’t tell me it’s that whole ‘you’re a girl’ thing again?!
M: Don’t take that tone with me.
G: Sorry ma…
M:*Exhaling sharply* Alright. No, it’s not because you’re a girl, although that’s definitely a major part of the reason.
G: What’s the remaining part?
M: Don’t you think that working there would be…a little…you know…I mean, there are so many other better jobs out there.
G: Ahh…so that’s the problem. So I’d basically be embarrassing all of you if I worked there?
M: Look. All I’m saying is, what’s the point of studying so much if you’re going to land up in a gas station?
G: It’s just part-time! Plus it’ll be a different experience.
M: What experience could you possibly get from working there?!
G: You think this job would be…too low? Like it’s beneath us in some way?
M: Things aren’t always so black and white. You live in a society, don’t forget that. This isn’t about you or me. People talk!
G: I don’t care about people ma!
M: Well you better start caring if you want to be a part of this society.
G: What happened to dignity of labour?! No one here cares what jobs people do!
M: Maybe the Canadians don’t, but back home where we come from, they still care. You’re an Indian, don’t forget that.
G: I know I am! But…Okay. Do me a favour. Please explain to me what exactly is the problem with me working at a gas station? The fact that I’m a girl, that I have a university degree, or that I’m Indian?
M: It’s not that simple. Maybe it’s one of them, maybe it’s all. I don’t know. Look, I know class isn’t something you agree with, but the reality is that class exists.
G: So that’s it? They can just change dignity of labour into…into…division of labour? That’s no excuse for it!
M: I know it isn’t, but I suppose our society isn’t ready to accept that as yet.
G: Well then they need to be! They can’t just discriminate people based on what job they do! They want to work in high-rise companies yet can’t pick up their own trash or fill their own petrol! And they look down on those that do it for them!
M: Look, you’re over-reacting. It’s not such a big deal.
G: Of course it’s a big deal! How can you-?
M: Okay!!! Enough! Calm down. I know how you feel, and I agree with you. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to let you start your own revolution out here.
G: I’m not-
M: No more arguing. You’re not working at a gas station. That’s it.
G: But mom-
M: I said that’s it! Just take some other job.
G: …
M: …
G: Mom…?
M: Yes?
G: So can I drive a cab?

3 comments:

  1. More Sociology than all of first year, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caste, class and gender yo. Well, at least class and gender.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete