Travel

Sunday, June 3, 2012

It's a 'people' thing


And so it is, that after 22 years, 11 months and 9 days, I have realized something vital about myself: I don’t like being alone.



Take a minute to step back and rake through your memories. As you’re raking, try to pull out the best ones – the happiest, the funniest, the ones that make you smile. Now, keeping these in the forefront, sift through the ones that automatically float forward and ask yourself this: are you alone in that memory, or are you with someone?

Odds are, it’ll be the latter.

At least, that’s usually the case with me. My happiest memories don’t involve an A+ on a paper, or an email offering me an acceptance letter. They usually involve a scene with other people, rolling on the floor, laughing so hard that I can feel my stomach cramping up and the tears flowing uncontrollably down my face.

John Medina, the author of Brian Rules, has an interesting take on the reason humans have evolved as a species: it was because of our “learning to cooperate and forming teams with our neighbours” [http://www.brainrules.net/survival].

Although I doubt Medina was walking down memory lane when he came up with that particular brain rule, I can’t help but connect the two.  We as humans seem to have an innate desire to communicate – whether through words or actions – our thoughts and emotions. It’s what helps us understand one another and build relationships.

Since I don’t have the authority to speak on behalf of the entire human population, I’m just going to speak for myself:

I like talking to others.
I like listening to others.
I like I like eating with others.
I like drinking with others.
I like playing with others.
I like laughing with others.
I like being with others.

I don’t like being alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment