Travel

Friday, July 1, 2011

Post Birthday thoughts - continued

So just to be clear, the TFI line that I'm completely enamoured by is not "Bah screw it" - that was just a result of the clock turning twelve and cake appearing in front of my eyes.

The line I was talking about it: "What will I do about it?" It's the simplest question one could ask, yet the most rarely asked question. We always end up with "Why aren't they doing something about it?" "It's out of my control." It's also one of the hardest things to ask yourself, because it means taking responsibility for something that no one is forcing upon you. It means willingly facing numerous challenges and failures along the road less taken. And it also means getting off you comfortable backside and actually become a doer, rather than just a complainer.

I've always been the complete opposite of that - probably still am. I find the easier route of complaining so much more - well, easier. I wait for others to get things sorted, often because I don't think it's my place to butt in, and often because I'm just too scared of taking onus of something big.

But I've taken an onus now - I've taken the responsibility of 45 second-grade students who barely speak or understand english, who refuse to sit quietly and study, who ask to go to the toilet (including number 2) every 5 minutes, who incessantly fight with each other and drive me up the wall by their lack of cooperation and who make me question my own decision of taking up this fellowship.

So I did the thing that comes to me most naturally - I complain. Like I just did above. And as good as it makes me feel, it doesn't solve any problems within my classroom. At the end of the day, it is up to me to decide what will I do about it - I've taken a responsibility, and it's completely up to me to make sure I meet all its expectations.

I have no one to answer to - except for my kids, whose future might depend on not just my ability to ask that question, but also to answer it.


No comments:

Post a Comment