Travel

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Birthday time...

Three weeks in Mumbai! Three weeks of running through traffic, trying to squeeze myself onto local buses and trains, walking endlessly around crowded marketplaces, whipping out my umbrella at the first sigh of raindrops, complaining incessantly about the weather, looking for a house, trying to convert that house into a home, food hunting, getting sick of wada-pavs, getting sick generally, familiarizing myself with street names, meeting old friends, making new ones, getting lost in Marathi-speaking crowds, trying to get my kids to speak English, trying to actually get them to stop speaking, period, yelling myself hoarse to no avail, bribing them with every method possible (still of no avail), singing songs of six little sucks making melodies (have to try that!), trying to gauge the english and maths levels, losing all my levels in the process, and listening to a cab driver tell me I should get married soon since I have a poorly paying job (I may have twisted the numbers)......

All this, and I choose to write my blog the night before my birthday. Well, 2 minutes before, but close enough.

Mumbai has been a maze of mixed emotions, but it is a city I'm slowly getting used to. My classroom, my kids, my school, my home - all of these are interspersed with the city. And over the next one year, I don't know what it's going to throw at me. I'm sure it'll be a lot, what with the pending infamous monsoons, to the stifling humidity this city is known for. My kids may continue to shout every single day, making me lose my voice altogether, or they may just decide to give me a few minutes of their time and actually bother studying. I might just end up transforming myself in ways that I never expected, or I might remain exactly the way I am.

Who knows? Not me. But there is one line often used at TFI, a line that speaks volumes......

Bah screw it!!!

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment