Travel

Friday, December 5, 2014

The Happy Place


It was cold, not such that it had you shivering from head to toe, but enough for the three-year-old girl to be bundled into a knitted, pink sweater. She picked at it uncomfortably, as she gazed out at the big lake around her. Boats dotted her vision, moving slowly across the water as the grown-ups who sat in them huffed as they pedalled.

On her own boat, her parents sat across her, pedalling the boat with an unhurried ease, while her dad kept one hand on the long stick behind. On her right, her older brother chatted away excitedly. The four of them were on their way to Mussourie, a few hours away from home, and had stopped for boating on the lake that had become customary to these trips.

As she listened to her brother going on and on about his own skill with pedalling the boat (he had done it for a minute at the max), she tried unsuccessfully to enjoy the wind and the water. Finally, feeling that enough was enough, the girl decided that it was time to speak up for herself. Plastering a frown on her puffed-up cheeks, she folded her arms for extra effect, and heaved in annoyance.

“Even I want to pedal,” she said.

Her parents looked at her in surprise. “But you’re too small for this,” said her mother, while her brother sniggered on the side.

“You let bhaiya do it!” she persevered. “Even I want to try.”

“But – “

“Sure,” her father said, cutting off her mom’s objection. Her mother looked surprised, and was about to say something again when her dad gave one of those grown-up looks that she seemed to understand.

“Really?!” the little girl asked, trying to mask her nervousness in excitement.

“Yes. But you’ll have to switch seats with me,” her father said, and proceeded to show her where to place her footing as the two of them carefully switched seats with each other.

As she plopped down on to the seat of power, she suddenly wasn’t too sure about what to do. Her mother, who was now sitting next to her, spoke up.

“Okay, now put your feet on the pedals. And start moving them forward, like this,” she said, as she continued pedalling calmly.

Following instructions, she put each of her buckled shoes on the pedals, and then pushed.

And pushed some more.

And a little more.

But the pedals wouldn’t move. Not even when she scrunched up her face from the effort, and put out her tongue in the unconscious way she always did when trying to concentrate on something.

The pedals just wouldn’t move.

Trying to ignore her brother’s snigger, she glumly looked up at her dad. Thankfully, he wasn’t laughing. “It’s okay,” he said gently. “It takes a lot of strength. You’ll be able to do it when you’re a little older.”

And with that, he took over the pedals from his own seat, and motioned for her brother to take over from her mom, and the two started pedalling the boat in reverse.

Turning to her side, she pretended to look at the lake as she fought off the urge to cry, as the feeling of uselessness spread all over her, ringing deafeningly in her ears. In fact, it took her a couple of seconds to realize her father was talking to her.

“What?” she asked, turning in front.

“Can you turn us a little to the left?” her father said. “We’re getting a little close to the edge.”

Confused, she asked him how.

“That stick,” he said, motioning to the stick behind her that she had noticed earlier. “It’s for navigation. Turn it towards you.”

Turning sideways, she put her hand on the navigation stick and pulled it towards her, half expecting it to stay where it was. To her surprise, it moved easily, and slowly, the boat also started to turn.

“You mean I can control where we’re going with this?” she asked, as the smile slowly started to find its way back on her face.

Her father nodded, explaining how the direction of the turn would depend on which side they were pedalling from.

The three-year-old nodded as she listened. “So, you mean that if mamma and I were pedalling, I would have to move it in the opposite direction? Hmm…that makes sense.”

Then, as though suddenly remembering her own age, she turned to her mother and asked her if she wanted to navigate. Smiling, her mom shook her head slowly. “Why don’t you be the navigator today?”

The words seemed to drop a load of responsibility on her, but for once, instead of feeling like shirking away, she sat up straight. Now this, I can do. With a big smile on her face, she turned to the other three passengers. “Alright, I’m going to get us to there,” she said, pointing to the far end of the lake with one hand, while the other firmly moved the navigation bar in the proper direction.

“And after that, pa you tell me where you want to go, and I’ll take you there. And bhaiya, you tell me where you want to go, and I’ll take you there. And mamma you too,” she rambled along.

“I’m the navigator,” she said proudly, oblivious to the tired looks exchanged by the others. This was going to be a long day of pedalling.


**************



A friend of mine once told me, maps were my happy place. Looking at maps, figuring out directions, and navigating from one point to another – these are all things I love doing. Sure, the most I’ve ever put this in practice is at amusement parks and the occasional (alright, once in a lifetime) walking tour of Montreal city with a friend. But the simple fact is, I like knowing my bearings, and the best way for me to do that is by looking at maps. Even when going on road trips, I love being the navigator, which is why I was very annoyed when the GPS came out. [Of course, it might be worth mentioning here that I have major motion sickness issues, so technically I can’t even look at a map while in the car, making the whole navigator role quite pointless.] Although, I have to accept now that the GPS allows me to understand maps in an entirely new way, which is exhilarating in its own way.

I remember telling a cousin once that I first need an aerial understanding of my whereabouts before I can figure out the street level directions. A frequent hazard of operating in this way is that I often talk in north-south-east-west while others talk in left-right. It’s made me realize how few people really understand directions in this manner. A friend once told me that wherever we face is north, and east, west, and south change accordingly [I swear I felt like throttling the friend at this point]. I find myself surprised that most people don't actually look at the sun to figure out which direction they're heading in on a regular basis (yes yes, I do that. Get over it). 

I'm not sure why I suddenly chose to write about the incident above. I think it might have something with constantly being met with incredulous expressions from people saying 'You mean you actually know directions?!' Or it might have a little something to do with a friend recently asking me to talk about something that I'm actually good at for a change. Or it might have something to do with gazing out at a lake here in Bhopal and the many pedal boats floating around on it. 

1 comment:

  1. It's probably the boats. But in you, I have a kindred spirit where maps are concerned. I still dislike GPS though, a large part of the joy of maps is that you need human beings to help you figure them out, often.

    ReplyDelete