Travel

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The End of May

It's that time of the year again, with June and school just around the corner. A new year. New teachers. New books. A rush to the bookstore. Carefully going over the required booklist for bhaiya, and then the same for me. Counting the number of sheets we'd need to cover the books. Oh wait, they come in already cut up smaller sheets now. And they look different. More...orangy than brown. Why'd they have to change it? Oh but....this might make covering the books much easier. And we need to decide our stickers. Uff there are so many options. I don't know which one to take. I pick some at random. I don't like making decisions. And we need some pens. Yes, this is the second year my class will be writing with pens. That means I can buy the micro-tip pens like bhaiya. No more of those ink pens. Thank god, they used to be such a mess. Back home, the four of us get together. We have a big job ahead. I hate doing this, because it means school is starting. But it's also so much fun to do this every year, and the books smell so nice. I don't know whether I actually enjoy this or not. Mamma is in charge. She begins by taking a book and placing it over one of the sheets. The sheet is a bit too big, but mamma says she'll just fold it. No point cutting so much. I remember in the earlier years mamma had to spend so much time cutting those big brown sheets. She aligns the book carefully, then opens the front cover. Folds the side. Then opens the back cover. Folds the side again. She closes the book and holds it with her left hand, picking up the scissors with her right. She quickly cuts off all the corners in a neat diagonal shape. Next she cuts the inner side, but this is a little harder. I know. I tried last year but kept doing it wrong. After cutting it, she passes it to us. Pa has gone out of the room because of a phone call. I let bhaiya take the book, because I don't like folding the edges. Somehow they always get bent at the wrong places. I watch him carefully fold the inner flaps between the outside cover, and then breathe in relief as the hard part is over. Now he just has to fold all the outer remaining flaps inside. That part is easy. Even I can do it. But I cut tape and hand it over to him so that he can stick the flaps. Mamma has already started on the next book. She tells me that I could try to do the fist part - placing the book on a single sheet and folding the sides. This will help her go faster. I try to do that. The book keeps slipping every time I fold it from one end. I stick my tongue out in the side while trying to concentrate on the task. I had just finished folding one side before mamma takes it from me. She had finished her part already. Disappointed, I take the next book, trying to g a little faster. This time, I'm able to finish my job before mamma. But bhaiya is having difficulty cutting tapes by himself. So we decide to leave that part for later. Pa comes in, but seeing the big pile of books we have already finished, goes out again. Finally the pile grows larger, and then there are no more textbooks or notebooks left. Mamma looks tired. She says the rest is for bhaiya and me. I don't mind. The remaining part is fun. We break for lunch, and then the two of us come back to finish the job. I cut the tapes, he sticks them on the books. When that is done, we separate our stack of books. He takes his stickers, and I take mine, and both of us quietly try to put the stickers clearly in the centre of each book, without letting it tilt on any end. And finally, only one thing is left. Bhaiya picks up a pen, and offers one to me. This year mamma won't be filling in the stickers for me. I take the pen and carefully start writing my name in capital letters, silently admiring my own handwriting. It feels strange to write the class and section - it makes me feel so much older than I am. We check the lists before writing the titles on the notebooks. All the writing takes a long time, but finally, we both are done. We stack up the books neatly, and pick up all the pieces of paper lying around, throwing them in the bin. The bed looks clear. And the books look so nice sitting on the table. Oh but school is starting. I wish it wouldn't. I wish we could just do this ritual every year and not have to actually go to school afterwards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment