Travel

Saturday, December 31, 2011

The Ahmedabad Diaries - Please Tell Me


I walk into your home, bearing
Blankets for the cold
Food for your stomach
Water for the thirst
A smile for hope

Yet as I look around, the smile falters
Your home is not a home
It is a piece of the ground
Marked off by sticks and plastic
There is nothing outside
Nothing inside
Except people

People who step out from all directions
People who stare at me
Their gazes filled with a myriad of emotions
I can only try to guess
Is it happiness for the company?
Is it hope for the gifts?
Is it sadness at the reality?
Is it anger at the divide?
Is it disgust at the charity?
Is it envy at the unfairness?

Because the question that remains unanswered
The one I want to ask but am afraid
The one that plagues me constantly is
Who am I to you?
Am I a guest, to be invited humbly and treated with respect?
Am I a celebrity, representing a part of society that has evaded you?
Am I God, bringing the hope of relieving you from your misery?
Am I a philanthropist, trying to make myself feel better about the injustice?
Am I a snob, coming over to look down upon you and your neighbours?
Am I a friend, willing to provide a shoulder to you when you need it?
Am I a stranger, pretending to be your friend today to never see you again after this?
Am I a helper, offering you aid?
Am I a hypocrite, saying I understand when I really don’t?
Please tell me, because I don’t know
Tell me
Who am I to you?

And who are you to me?
A friend I genuinely care about?
A piece of charity to assure myself of my goodness?
A receiver of my gifts?
A giver of love?
A passing phase I use to “gain an experience”?
A needy person I try to help?
A project to test my skills?
A person I want to learn from?
An alien I truly cannot understand?
Because like I said, I really don’t know
So please tell me

What do you feel when you see me passing through your makeshift community?
Who am I to you?
Who are you to me?
And while we’re on that subject
Also tell me,
What am I supposed to feel?

Concerned for your welfare?
Nervous about the encounter?
Troubled by your reality?
Touched by your affection?
Humbled by your warmth?
Guilty for being rich?
Confident for being educated?
Scared of being offensive?
Indifferent so as to be detached?
Hypocritical at my pretence?
Unsure about my actions?
Happy at the connections?
Hopeful about the future?
Cynical at the world?
Angered by the government?
Upset at the unfairness?
Faithful in the God up above?
Satisfied at having made a difference?

Did I do that?
Did my blankets, food and water change your lives?
Did my visit bring you out of poverty?
Did my presence alleviate your misery?
Did my company make you happy?
Did my words bring you solace?
Did my actions bring you comfort?
Did I make a difference?

Please tell me

The community we visited - standing in front of their bamboo-tarp houses



No comments:

Post a Comment