Travel

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Goodbye December

Heads up: this post is rather senti. Ye have been warned.  



Well, the wedding is over. This month of masti and compete madness is over. And all of a sudden, I’m not sure what to do anymore.

For the last one and a half years, the wedding has been the destination that all our plans had been geared towards. The month before, I was juggling assignments and shopping and exams and dance practice. The month before, I had no time to think. I was fed up with the wedding even before it had started, to the point where I threatened my brother to make sure he never gets married again.

And then December came. And with it came Ahmedabad. And Bangalore. And Kuwait. And non-stop crazy fun. A chance to meet up with old family and friends. A chance to spend time with new family and friends. Of running around. Of dancing. Of smiling. Of eating. Of celebrating. And of being chased by camels. It really was a month like no other. I didn’t want it to end. Ever.

But it passed by in a blur. For a month that had been under planning for over a year, these last few days have whizzed by. And the whole time, even though I was enjoying every second of it, I kept having this nagging sinking feeling that it was going to end soon. And it did.

Last night.

G, S and A have left from Kuwait [wait – can I call you three GAS for short?]. And with them, I feel like a big chunk of my family has left. And considering that they live in Canada, I probably won’t be seeing them for a long time now. All I can do is sit here on my bed, feel mopey and write about it.

But the weird thing is, I’m not sure why this is hitting me so hard. I consider myself a master of goodbyes. I’ve said bye to so many people and moved to so many places, that I assumed I was over it all. But thinking back, I think the difference is that all those times, I was the one packing my bags and leaving. This was the first time that I found myself staying in the same place as someone else waved goodbye to me at the airport. This was the first time I had been on the receiving end of the farewell, and not the giving. That’s probably why this was the first time that it actually hit me so hard.

Watching G & S make their way to the security check last night as we stepped to the side, I think I actually got a little choked up. [Of course, I would rather lock myself in a bird cage than break down in public. Actually, that’s a tough choice. Never mind.] In any case, I could feel all the excitement and memories of this last one month crashing down around me as I realized that this had all just come to an end. I knew this was coming. And I hadn’t wanted this end to come. I’ve never thought of myself as the sentimental type, but in that moment all the Karan Johar emotions were wreaking a big mess through me. That was, until the security sent them back to the check-in counter for over-weight baggage and whatnot, so by the time they took their second walk down the security aisle, I was sleepy and tired and like “go already.”

And they did. So now it’s time for life to go back to normal.

I’ve never been a big fan of normal.

2014, you have big shoes to live up to. 

6 comments:

  1. Now that you're back to normal... Time to book your tickets for feb baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sucks that all good things must come to an end eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea....hopefully they make room for better things though....

      Delete
  3. Ahhh....:/
    Meet soon! Will kick normal's arse!

    ReplyDelete