Travel

Saturday, April 30, 2011

To a brand new (and a little broken down) beginning

So this is it. Im sitting on my bed, having just had a cold shower to try and get temporary relief from the suffocating heat - aka regular maharashtra weather. The flush only works as long as you hold it down. The cupboard makes me wonder which living beings it has lovingly nourished and raised. The auto driver who got me to Symbiosis in Pune totally ripped me off, having had the luxury of being the only available driver for a long distance, and me being the only idiot dragging huge suitcases across the Bombay-Pune highway. And lets not forget Bombay's traffic - it was enough to scare me out of my wits and convince me that I'd rather stand at the edge of a road all day long than risk stepping on to it.

The list can go on (and it really does).

But there is a feeling of being back in India, the feeling you get when you walk into the grocery store downstairs where you get everything from sim-cards to kurkure and good-night to maggie (try finding THAT in a Canadian store!)...or from talking to people in a weird mix of hindi and english without having to think of the switch...or from sitting downstairs enjoying the rare cool breeze that reminds you why you came all the way across the world...and then of course, is the unwavering enthusiasm of last year's Teach for India's fellows, who could single-handedly give Canadian frosh bosses a tough competition.

And this list could also go on (although it doesn't).

In any case, for now, I'm caught in a mixture of excitement, nervousness, confusion, anticipation and hunger. So I'm going to go hit the cafeteria for some breakfast (note time: 7:10 am)...and then I'm off to my very first day of training at TFI.

Cheers to that!

1 comment:

  1. I wishhhhh Youuu plates and plates full of success and vegetarian food!.. I know you will miss the meals I made ;), but ull work out just fine there, give it some time, at the end of the day its the Motherland!.Have fun.. and trust me all this is part of the fun, so enjoy it while it lasts and you will do great!! I miss youu

    ReplyDelete