Travel

Sunday, April 10, 2011

It’s that time of life again

At the age of 6, I left Dehradun, saying teary goodbyes to some very close people, telling myself more than them that I would be back in 2 years.

At the age of 12, I left Bangalore, quietly, without much fuss, excited at the prospect of starting life again in a new country.

At the age of 16, I left Kuwait, confused, wanting to hold on yet wanting to get away, scared of leaving home for the very first time.

At the age of 18, I left Bangalore again, trying desperately to hold on to the friends who had become closer than family, afraid yet again of stepping out into the unknown world.

At the age of 22, here I am again, packing up my things to leave Toronto, 
hesitant to say goodbye to the countless people who have come to understand me better that anyone else in the world, 
excited to go back to a country I have always been in love with, 
nervous about taking up a challenge that will shape not only my life but that of dozens of others, 
scared that friendships of the present will become friendships of the past, 
stunned at how fast the last four years of my life have flown by, 
desperate to hold on to everyone and everything, 
eager to try something new, 
unsure, still, of how to say goodbye.

3 comments:

  1. Goodbye is always a sad word to say. Just like you, I've said that word one too many times.I wish you goodluck in your future endeavors!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... and with that you leave countless people teary eyed as you leave.

    I personally hate goodbyes. It's not like I'm ashamed of crying out loud (literally) like Abhishek Bachhan at the airport in front of random strangers, cos you know I'm not. It's just the feeling that gushes in between me and the one leaving after the last goodbye hug that feels weird and actually makes me feel sick to the stomach, so I prefer just waking up the next day knowing you're not there ... just not there anymore and I'm like, "What the RUCH just happened?"

    I actually just woke up and guess what did I dream of? You NOT going hahahaha! So we're at your place and Sina tells me that the organization that had sponsored Ruchi is not funding it anymore ... you have that face where you're sad from the inside but have a sheepish smile on your face trying to hide the disappointment saying, "it's ok dude," while Im running around like Abhishek in Venice rejoicing ... thats when I woke up cos I cannot see myself running like that, not even in a dream.

    Whatever it is, your intent has convinced me that what you're doing is the best thing to do as opposed to putting a mic on some hot fireman (well, not really :p) ... I know those kids will know hot co properly cite MLA style, they will be introduced to Baba Ganoosh and being taught by you they will hopefully NOT see and/or hate Pakistan as their enemy InshALLAH!!! They can cheer all they want for the stupid cricket game.

    I cannot bless you with enough prayers. I know you'll be fine & I'll come visit.
    Love!
    Changargh.



    P.S The best thing about your experience is, you can beat them in India :P zor ka thappar dena agar badtameezi karain to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Ruch Ruch!
    At some point in our lives we start to fear the word "attachment". Yet, letting go of one attachment with distress, we search for opportunities to rebuild those bonds with some others. For the simple reason of reminding you of who you are as an individual.

    So baby don't lose hope.. the friends and connections you have made in Toronto or any other place stay with you forever irrespective of where you go. We will still dance at your shaaadddiiii ahaahahhahahahaahhhaah.. and after all you will be so close to bombay..... I am definitely going to see you often..
    WILL MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete