Travel

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Of trying to write.... Yet again

I got a WhatsApp message from my cousin today. It had two words: "Blog, woman." Though perhaps even the first word on its own might have done the trick, it did have an effect - it resulted in me now typing out a post (albeit with no idea what I'm going to write).

I've written several posts in the past about how I've struggled to write, and how "this post" is going to mark the era of a fresh writing spree. One click on my history can vouch that life never played out that way.

Though, after 5 years of inertia, I think it's about time that I stop blaming life for it. In the words of a friend who on reading this would nod her head triumphantly, it's all about the effort. It's the effort of actually taking time out to pen my thoughts. The effort of doing it consistently. The effort of actually writing the million ideas that fly post my head in the shower or on a drive. And at some level, it's about not giving a rats backside about the readership or the reaction (I realised I spent more time last year trying to figure out how to make my micro stories readable on Instagram than actually writing them).

So, here's to a new attempt. And the hope that the next post I write doesn't come after a year long dry spell, conveying pretty much the same information all over again.

Fingers crossed.

P.S: To all those who might be offended that your own multiple attempts at getting me to write were left futile: well, I actually realized I don't have a response for that.

2 comments:

  1. Yayyy! You wrote!!
    I totally get the entire instagram bit. It's the entire reason I'm forcing myself to get back to blogging, and trying to not care about readership. Because Instagram has made me question everything I write (what will people think? Will this work? Does this sound good enough?) When did we become those writers?! And worse still, it meant that the writing actually went downhill.

    So glad to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - it's hard though, to write and not care if anyone's actually reading. Liberating in some ways, but hard as well.

      Delete