Travel

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Time to Pray

A professor once told us that if we want to be sure we've understood a concept, we should try explaining it to a little kid. This post sort of took off from that idea...

“Where are we going?” the boy asked, holding on to his father’s hand as they walked.
We’re going to pray.
What’s pray?
Pray is…when we ask for blessings.
What are blessings?
Blessings are good wishes.
You mean how people wish me on my birthday?
Well…something like that.
But why would I ask for wishes? Don’t people wish us when they want to?
This is different. We’re not asking people for blessings. We’re asking God.
Who is God?
God is the one who made all of us.
Huh? He makes things like the carpenter made the table for us?
I don’t mean things. He made all of us human beings. Me. You.
But I thought mamma made me.
Well, yes.
So what did god do?
I don’t mean you alone. I mean all people. This entire world.
Is god a very rich person?
He is not a person!
So…what is he?
He is…it’s hard to explain. Just think of him as someone who is much bigger than all of us people.
Is he a giant?
No!
Oh.
Listen, you will understand God better when you grow older.
Okay…
So we’re going to p…pay God now?
Pray! Pray to God.
Yes, pray. So we’re going to ask God to wish us?
Well, we’re going to first say thank you to God.
Thank you for what?
Thank you for everything that he has given us.
What has he given us?
Well, our family, our house, our friends.
I don’t have that many friends…
Don’t worry, you will. You just need to talk more to the other boys. You’ll make friends.
But you just said God gives us our friends.
You won’t get friends just like that. You have to do something about it.
But then what is God’s job if I have to go making my own friends?
He…well…you’ll understand some day. He does a lot for us.
Does he do a lot for everyone?
Of course. He takes care of this whole world.
That’s so many people!
Yes, God has special powers. He can take care of everyone.
So after I say thank you to god, I can ask him for whatever I want?
Yes.
And he’ll give it to me?
Hopefully.
Can I ask him for a toy?
No, you should ask him to keep everyone happy and safe. Ask him for good wishes.
But I wanted a toy.
God doesn’t give toys. He gives good wishes.
So he gives good wishes to everyone?
Yes. To all the good people.
What about the bad people?
You don’t want him to give good wishes to bad people, do you?
Well…I…
What happened?
Nothing…it’s just that…yesterday I forgot to do my homework.
That’s okay. Just remember the next time.
My teacher said I was a bad person.
Oh! No, I didn’t mean that way. Of course you’re not a bad person!
But my teacher says I am.
Listen, that’s just because of one thing.
So if I do one only one bad thing, I don’t become a bad person?
Depends on the thing you do.
What do you mean?
I mean, look, not doing your homework, that’s not so bad. But things like stealing or hurting others are bad.
But my teacher thinks I’m a bad person.
She doesn’t think that. She must have said that because she was angry. Besides, everyone else thinks you’re a good person.
What?
So if someone thinks I’m bad, and someone else thinks I’m good, who would God listen to?
The good ones of course!
What are you thinking?
You remember that man on the news who went to jail? You said he was a bad person. But his parents were saying he is a good person. So will god listen to them?
No, that’s not what I meant.
What did you mean?
Look, God knows everything. He knows who are the good people, and who are the bad people. He will take care of the good people, and punish the bad people.
So God doesn’t need us to tell him who is good or bad?
No
What if God makes a mistake and punishes a good person?
God doesn’t make mistakes.
But if he does?
Then he will make sure the bad people are punished after their death.
How?
He will send the bad people to a bad place where they will be punished.
And the good people? What will happen to them?
They will go to a good place – the place where God stays.
Where does God stay?
No one really knows.
But then…how do we know that the good people go there?
We just know.
How does God punish the bad people if he doesn’t stay in the bad place?
God doesn’t need to stay there. He is everywhere.
You just said you don’t know where God stays.
What I meant was that we don’t know where the good people go exactly. But we do know that God is everywhere.
How can he be everywhere?
He is God. He has special powers.
So you mean he is here also?
Absolutely. He’s always with us.
I’ve never seen him.
You can’t see God. But he is always watching us.
Isn’t that a bad thing? To follow people around?
It’s a bad thing when people do it. But God is special.
How do we know God is here if we can’t see him?
We just…know.
But how?
You’ll understand when you’re older.
Okay.
I’m tired.
Just a little bit further.
But where are we going?
I told you. We’re going to pray.
But where?
To the house of God.
We’re going to meet God?!
Uh…no. We’re going to a place where everyone goes to pray to God.
Does God live there?
No.
Does God visit there?
I don’t know.
You said God is everywhere.
Well, yes.
Then why do people go to this place to pray?
It’s a special place.
Why?
That’s where the priests are.
Who are priests?
They are people who serve God.
They serve God food?
No! I mean, they…work for God.
God is their boss?
No no. They are important people who help us connect with God.
How?
Well….they show us how to pray.
What do you mean? I thought we just say thank you and ask for wishes.
There are some other things also that we do to make sure God gives us our wishes.
What things?
You’ll see.
So everyone has to pray in the same way?
Well, everyone in our religion. People of different religions pray in different ways.
And which way does God like more?
He likes all ways. It doesn’t matter to him how we pray.
So then why do priests make us pray in this way?
That’s just the way it’s always been done!
What do you mean?
I mean that some things are done because they have always been done that way.
I don’t understand…
Don’t worry. You’ll understand –
- When I’m older?
Yes! Now enough questions.
But-
I said no more questions!
Can I ask one last question?
Fine. What is it?
What is religion?


No comments:

Post a Comment