Travel

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Musings from Ladakh

Something that crossed my head as I gazed at the mountains in Ladakh...


Meandering through the roads
My eyes are drawn to you
Rising high
On each side
Standing stiff
Yet flowing
With an inexplicable ease
Towering
And soothing
So different from the others
Not a patch of green
Your head held high
Bare
Gorgeous
Gigantic
Unending
And…
Majestic
So majestic
It’s not a word I’ve ever used before
Nor felt any inclination to
But there’s no other way to describe you
As I crane my neck high
Feeling humbled in your presence

And I can’t help but wonder
Who was it
Who first looked upon you
And thought
I own you
You belong to me now
What was going through his head
As he chose to add you to his list of possessions
The clothes
The car
The dog
The child
And now you
What was it
That made him lay claim
To a peak he could hardy reach
To a range he could barely see
And what were they thinking
They who came after him
They who inherited you
They who called you theirs
They who went to all lengths to keep you as theirs
Believing
Strongly
Like their ancestors before
That they own you
That you can be owned
And you stood there
As generations passed
As wars passed
As claims passed
You stood there
Majestic, as always
Not in your pride
Not in your power
But in the simple belief
That you just don’t care.


No comments:

Post a Comment