Travel

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Skygazing

It happened by chance
I went to the terrace
A cup of coffee in my hand
Met some friends there
Started to talk
And then stopped short
Staring
Gazing
At what lay beyond

The first thing I noticed were the drops
Falling softly
But determinedly
From the darkening clouds above
Landing on eyelashes
Cheeks
Lips
The coolness refreshing
Adding to the calm
From the wind blowing through my hair
Healing
What, I don’t know
But healing
For sure

Next came the sun
Emerging from behind the clouds
Breaking free of the barrier
Unleashing its power in the west
Glowing orange
With steaks of red
And maybe yellow
Forming a colour I can’t describe
But soothing
Radiating energy
Mixing with the drops

And so we turned our heads
Looking for the streaks that should have appeared
And there they were
Streaks of colours
Strengthening over time
Until one end to the other
Became clear
As though someone had used a compass
To draw the perfect arcs
And just looking at it
Smiles broke out
As they always do
No matter how old or young

And as I stood there
Caught between the sunset and the rainbow
Feeling the wind and the raindrops
I felt it
The calm
The beauty
The wonder
Where purpose didn’t matter
Where frustrations evaporated
Even if it was
Just for a moment
A few fleeting seconds
Because time didn’t matter then
Nothing mattered then
Except being there
In that moment
And feeling everything
That feeling of being alive

No comments:

Post a Comment